The Webelos Uniform
The Webelos Uniform
As your son is getting ready to complete his years as a Cub Scout, 4th and 5th Grade Webelos can choose to wear their blue Cub Scout shirt or switch over to the tan Boy Scout uniform shirt (more info). This is the same uniform shirt they will continue to wear as a Boy Scout. Most Webelos start wearing the tan shirt by the time they are Webelos 2s in 5th grade.
Required (when purchasing the tan scout shirt):
- Shirt (Short or Long Sleeve - long sleeve recommended. Cotton Rich Poplin or Polyester Microfiber)
- Webelos Colors (#3)
- Webelos Neckerchief
- Blue Shoulder Loops (#1)
- World Crest Emblem (#5)
- Council Patch - Northern Star
- Red Pack Numerals - (just 37 is sufficient)
- Webelos Handbook (req for all Webelos)
- Belt - highly recommended as they will earn belt loops as Webelos 1s and 2s
- Baseball cap w/Webelos emblem
The uniform will be used through their early years as a Boy Scout (grades 6-7) - so size it appropriately.
- Pants or Shorts
Patches You don't need to Buy:
Any activity pin, belt loop or rank badge son earns will be awarded (at no cost) during the Monthly Pack Meetings. You will need to sew them on or attach them, but they are provided.
Where to Purchase Items:
You can purchase all uniform items at one of the Northern Star Council Scout Shops.
To get an idea of pricing, or to order items online, visit http://www.scoutstuff.org. This is the official online scout shop. They should have the same prices as our local scout shop.
Before most pack meetings we normally make a trip to the Scout Shop. You might contact the Advancement Chair if you need a patch or two - we might be able to save you a trip and pick them up for you at our cost. You are also welcome to order any needed items online or however you like.
Time to Sew?
The image above will help with the placement of emblems and patches.
The Uniform Code:
Your son should/will be encouraged to wear his uniform appropriately. The shirt should always be tucked in and orderly. He should understand the importance of representing the entire Boy Scout Organization while in uniform.
What do I do with my son's old blue Cub Scout shirt?
You have several options:
- Donate it to the Pack with all it's original badges. It'll be prepped for a future scout in need.
- Remove the patches you want to transfer over to his new tan uniform shirt (pack numerals, council patch, world crest) and donate the shirt. Those patches cost about $6 total.
- Keep the shirt intact and save it as a piece of his childhood